Rebellious within the own fashion
Punk Lolita (also: Lolita Punk) is as the name suggests, heavily influenced by Western punk fashion, but is generally a cuter adaption. Punk Lolita was highly popular during the early 2000's, along with the traditional Gothic Lolita silhouette. However, it's had a noticeable decline in popularity in recent years with the rise of Ama Lolita.
This style is often more casual-looking than other Lolita styles. A typical outfit will have a mini tophat, a simple cutsew with a deconstructed Lolitaesque print, a pleated tartan skirt and chunky platform boots. Sometimes Punk Lolitas will be seen with nekomimi (cat ears), although it's considered cosplay by the majority of Lolitas.
- Style is edgy and cute.
- The main influence is standard punk fashion, with a hint of psychobilly.
- The most common color scheme is black x red. Black x white, pink, purple and yellow are also frequent.
- Patterns include tartan, polkadots, checkerboard, diamond, stripes, spider web and leopard.
- Common print motifs are crowns, crosses, roses, skulls and trump.
- Clothing features a mix of punk and lolita elements. Small amounts of lace and ribbons. Frills are found in larger quantities.
- Fabrics are usually deconstructed with several layers. Leather/pleather is used at times.
- Headwear is most often mini tophats, headbows or nekomimi (cat ears; associated with cosplay).
- Blazers and biker jackets are associated with Punk Lolita.
- Skirt length is usually knee-length or a tad shorter.
- Punk Lolita has generally less skirt poof than other styles.
- Pleated skirts.
- Striped knee/overknee socks, fishnet tights, tartan tights/socks, torn tights. Often mismatched.
- Punk Lolita is the only style to feature poofy leg and arm warmers.
- Accessories are standard punk-related items, such as chains, rivets, studded belts, round badges, safety pins, ties, studded bracelets and studded chokers with lace. Spiked items are a bit more uncommon in Punk Lolita.
- Shoes include platform Mary Janes, platform combat boots, platform oxford shoes and creepers.
- Bags can be plain to match a more edgy style, or in shape of animals for a more cute look.
Makeup & Hair
- Hair is usually kept fairly simple, straight or curly. Sometimes Hime Gyaru-inspired hairstyles.
- Dark eyeshadow.
- Red or pink blush.
- Nude, pink or red lipstick.
- If desired, fake eyelashes can be put on to achieve a doll look.
- It is also common to use special contacts called circle lenses to achieve said above look.
Note: Of course, these are just simple occurrences that are commonly seen within this style. They are no absolute rules of any kind. Be creative and experiment!
Below is a list of popular brands that carries items suitable for Punk Lolita.
To see more available stores for clothes, click here.