Complete color-coordinated madness
While there are multiple color themes in Lolita fashion, the two most well-known to the western Lolitas are Kuro and Shiro. Kuro, which is the Japanese term for black, refers to a fully black coordinate, while Shiro (meaning white) refers to a purely white coordinate. Kuro Lolita is sometimes mistaken for Gothic Lolita, but Kuro Lolita completely lacks gothic elements. Both Kuro and Shiro uses Classic and Ama/Kote Lolita as the base style.
Lesser-known color themes are Aka Lolita (red), Pink Lolita, Sax Lolita (saxe blue) and Mono Lolita (monotone). Aka, Pink and Sax Lolita usually have a color scheme of the base color with white lace. Mono Lolita consists of a white-only blouse with i.e. a black JSK, matched with white socks and black shoes. These labels are only used at times in Japan.
- The themes are cute or classic.
- Kuro and Shiro Lolita are limited to one color.
- Aka, Pink and Sax Lolita have a base color x white lace color scheme.
- Mono Lolita consists of contrasting black and white.
- Kuro and Shiro Lolita are based on Classic and Ama/Kote Lolita. Aka/Pink/Sax/Mono are based on Ama Lolita.
- Kuro Lolita lacks Gothic elements.
- Headwear includes straw hats, headbands, corsages and bonnets.
- All themes are often worn with long-sleeved blouses, rather than short-sleeved.
- Skirt length is the standard knee-length
- The lolita silhouette is kept by the use of panniers.
- Knee/overknee socks and tights in matching colors.
- Any Lolita-type shoe in matching color can be worn.
- Accessories include lace chokers, cross, crown or pearl necklaces and lace gloves.
- Bags are simple, or have special shapes in matching color.
Makeup Checklist & Hair
- Hair can be done in any Lolitaesque hairstyle.
- The makeup is generally light, and matched to go with the chosen theme.
Note: Of course, these are just simple occurrences that are commonly seen within this style. They are no absolute rules of any kind. Be creative and experiment!
With color themed styles, any store is fine as long as they carry your theme color. To see available stores for clothes, click here.