When being "cute" is not enough
Ero Lolita can be considered to be an often misunderstood, darker and more mature take on the fashion. It has a slightly more sexy approach, but is in no way overly revealing. Despite that Ero is derived from the word erotic, this style still has the modesty and silhouette of Lolita fashion. Somewhat unique traits of Ero, is the usage of fetish materials such as PVC or leather, cage skirts, and the often seen western approach; a lolita blouse with bloomers. The latter is sometimes debated if it's truly Lolita or not.
Ero is a tricky style to find examples of, as it's in fact a rather rare sight, and most available examples are far from perfect in outfit quality. Because of the skin exposure, this style is usually claimed to be rather controversial among Lolitas, and is often only worn to concerts, or clubs. However, some people might find this style easier to wear, as it has some similarities with western fashions.
- Style is usually gothic, mature and sexy.
- Follows the traditional Lolita silhouette.
- Art inspirations are Mitsukazu Mihara, and Sakizo. Mihara has made many Guro and Ero-related pieces, and Sakizo several Ero ones.
- Other inspirations include Kana, and Mana, two Visual-kei artists who both wears Ero-influenced outfits at times.
- Materials such as PVC, vinyl, leather and chiffon are common.
- Headwear includes headdresses (now unfashionable), rose corsages and headbows.
- A lace or chiffon bolero can be added for elegance.
- Blouses are usually not worn with this style. If a blouse is used, it's usually low-cut.
- Corsets and bustiers.
- Cage skirts are often associated with Ero and Gothic Lolita.
- Skirt length is shorter than in other styles. Above the knee, but not short enough to be called a miniskirt.
- The western interpretation of Ero Lolita often consists of a blouse x bloomers combination.
- Lace or fishnet overknee or thigh high socks are typical for Ero Lolita. Often combined with a garter belt.
- Shoes vary from tall chunky platform boots to general lolita high-heeled shoes.
- Accessories include chokers and lace gloves.
- Lacquer bags in various shapes are common.
Note: Of course, these are just simple occurrences that are commonly seen within this style. They are no absolute rules of any kind. Be creative and experiment!
Below is a list of popular brands that carries items suitable for Ero Lolita.
To see more available stores for clothes, click here.