Refined and elegant to the core
Classic Lolita (from: Classical Lolita) is a refined and elegant style influenced by various eras in history, such as Renaissance, Elizabethan, Baroque, Rococo, Victorian, and Edwardian. The prominent features of the style are neutral dusty colors, simplicity, high-neck collars, a-line skirts and soft floral patterns. Due to the nature of the style, many Lolitas consider Classic to be their natural choice as they turn older.
- Style is refined, elegant and mature.
- The main eras of influence are Renaissance, Elizabethan, Baroque, Rococo, Victorian, and Edwardian.
- Colors are usually neutral. Brown, ivory, wine, dusty pink, dusty green, navy and black.
- Prints are most often floral (roses or other flowers), but may also feature animals, old toys, fruits and berries. Other patterns include tartan check, stripes and gingham.
- Clothing is kept modest, with a smaller amount of frills and lace than other styles. Elegance is the highlight.
- Headwear includes bonnets, berets, dress hats, braided hats, mini hats, rose corsages, rose garlands, simple headbands, headbows and smaller bows.
- Skirt length vary from knee-length to longer.
- Skirts often feature corset lacing.
- A-line shaped panniers are normally used.
- Solid/lace floral overknee/knee socks and tights. Ankle socks have also become increasingly popular.
- High heeled shoes are most frequent. Victorian style boots/shoes, strapped sandals, low-heeled ankle shoes.
- Accessories come in forms such as cameo pendants, pearl necklaces/chokers, antique watches, rose brooches, bird cages, and short/long lace gloves.
- Bags are plain (sometimes with floral patterns), or in special shapes such as berries, spades, violins, crowns or animals.
Makeup & Hair
- Wigs have in recent years also been introduced to Classic Lolita.
- Modern and old-fashioned formal updos are common, and also several braided styles (French braids, fish braids, lace braids).
- Hair is usually in neutral colors, such as blonde, dark red, brown or black.
- Dark or dusty-colored eyeshadow.
- Red or pink blush.
- Nude lips, light and darker pinks and more mature reds are frequent.
- If desired, fake eyelashes can be put on to achieve a doll look.
- It is also common to use special contacts called circle lenses to achieve said above look.
Note: Of course, these are just simple occurrences that are commonly seen within this style. They are no absolute rules of any kind. Be creative and experiment!
Below is a list of popular brands that carries items suitable for Classic Lolita.
- Innocent World
- Mary Magdalene
- Victorian Maiden
- Beth (Closed)
- Juliette et Justine
- Mille Fleurs
- Baby the Stars Shine Bright
- Alice & the Pirates
To see more available stores for clothes, click here.