The sweet side of the Lolita aesthetic
Powdery pastels, bouncing cupcake-shaped skirts and imaginative prints are the main trademarks of an Ama Lolita. Ama is derived from the Japanese word amai, which translates into sweet. In most western Lolita communities, this style is referred to as Sweet Lolita.
Within all of the substyles of Lolita fashion, Ama Lolita is perhaps the most loved one. Its childlike and innocent properties makes it the favorite style of many. The most elaborate Ama Lolitas are usually referred to as Kotekote Lolitas, which translates to Over-the-Top Lolita (abbreviated OTT in the west). Kote Lolitas brings the sweet feeling into the style to the extreme. Beautiful wigs, accessorized from top-to-toe, Hime Gyaru-inspired makeup and perfect in every aspect, Kote Lolitas are the core of the cotton candy style that is Ama Lolita.
- Style is playful, magical, childish, innocent.
- The main eras of influence are Rococo, Victorian and Edwardian.
- The modern Ama Lolita style has influences from Hime Gyaru and Otome fashion, while Kote Lolita also takes its influence from Decora.
- Clothing is usually pastel colors, such as pink, sax blue, lavender, or mint. But there is also red, white, black, yellow and dark blue.
- Prints of fairytales, pastries, toys, flowers or other magical themes. Fabric patterns include tartan check, gingham, hearts, stars and flowers.
- Clothing is often decorated with many ribbons, pearls, embroidery, lace and other delicate details.
- Headwear include big ribbons, bonnets and headdresses (now unfashionable).
- Skirt length is usually kneelength, but new trends has skirts a few inches above the knee.
- For a casual style, standard poofy pannier. Kote Lolitas stretch the limits of the skirt/dress.
- Overknee socks has become increasingly popular rather than knee socks. Ankle socks are also rising in popularity.
- Flat shoes or low thick heels are most common, but high-heeled shoes also exist.
- Accessories include chokers, and usually plastic jewelry (rings, necklaces, bracelets) in shapes of hearts, ribbons, animals, pastries etc.
- Bags are plain, or in form of animals, ribbons, hearts or stars.
Makeup & Hair
- The current hairstyle trend is inspired by Hime Gyaru fashion, which includes large updos with curls. Other hairstyles include straight with bangs, large curly ponytails or in general curled hair.
- Colorful wigs are essential for Kote Lolitas. Two-toned wigs have gained popularity for some time.
- Eyeliner if desired. Kote Lolitas are usually seen with more.
- Pastel-colored eyeshadow. Kote Lolitas usually use dark eyeshadow.
- Pink blush.
- Transparent or light pink lipgloss.
- If desired, fake eyelashes can be put on to achieve a doll look.
- It is also common to use special contacts called circle lenses to achieve said above look.
Note: Of course, these are just simple occurrences that are commonly seen within this style. They are no absolute rules of any kind. Be creative and experiment!
Below is a list of popular brands that carries items suitable for Ama/Kote Lolita.
To see more available stores for clothes, click here.